Recently, we’ve started experimenting with fresh kefir grains. The instructions included in our kefir purchase said they would eventually eat us out of house and home (it’s like having another growing child around!!) and that was pretty accurate. We feed them daily with our raw milk, but they have quickly been devouring all the lactose. So much so that we noticed over the weekend that our kefir had completely separated; so instead of kefir, we actually had a container of cheese and whey. Mr F decided to just go with it…
After draining off the whey, we were left with some kefir cheese – sort of resembles the consistency of cream cheese or a thick ricotta.
Now, what to do with the kefir whey?? Well, let me just tell you, our kitchen looks like a small laboratory filled with various experiments….My husband even asked for “more beakers!” yesterday!! In addition to the cheese, we are in the process of making lacto-fermented salsa:
We also have a little lacto-fermented ginger ale brewing:
And last night, Mr F began his latest experiment, sour dough starter. This morning it was already bubbling…kefir whey at work!
(Update: Over the weekend of September 8-10, we attempted our sour dough bread. Several of ’em. Not one was fantastic. After the all the work put into it, we were quite disappointed that none of the recipes were what we’d hoped. We tried a no-rise method, a bake-in-a-pot technique, loaf pans, kneading, no-kneading. Aggh. For now, we’re taking a sour dough break, although our starter is still looming about waiting to be fed and put to work again. We’ll see…)
Finally, on a non-kefir note, another project hit a little
road block cat paw. Yes, Luna decided to take a nighttime prowl and destroy the puny little broccoli sprouts we were working so hard to grow. Albeit small, they were on their way to bigger and better stalks:
It has yet to start feeling like fall here; it’s still super hot! But we had some luck with our little garden last fall, so over the weekend we got a little jump start on this year’s autumn crop. So far, we are trying out two tomato varieties: summer set and solar fire. We’ve also planted some Thai basil, sweet basil, and thanks to Luna, we started some broccoli out in the garden (i.e., away from her grasp.) More to follow!
Stay tuned for the latest on the kefir experiments.